Assets…Marital assets include everything of value accumulated in the course of the marriage except inheritances or gifts to one of you. Assets may be tangible property (e.g., real estate, pensions, 401k plans, businesses, bank accounts) or intangible property (e.g., patents, copyrights).
Divorce mediation entails identifying assets, then determining valuations and how to divide them fairly. “Fairly” means equitable distribution, but not necessarily equal distribution. Even in an “equitable distribution” state like New Jersey, the decision of how to divide your assets is up to you since you know your needs. However, by utilizing a divorce lawyer in Bergen County, NJ who is a trained divorce mediator, you will have guidance in your mediation in regards to figuring out what is equitable for both you and your spouse.
For some helpful tools in figuring out your future real estate mortgage as well as car loan, credit card, and other personal expenses, see Karl Jeacle’s mortgage calculators and Interest.com’s mortgage calculators.
The benefits of divorce mediation are powerful and clear:
- Divorce mediation saves you considerable time and money.
- Divorce mediation makes you more committed to the agreement since it is you who works through it instead of your divorce attorneys.
- Divorce mediation gives you a sense of control over the process and allows you to maintain your dignity.
- You—not a judge—determine what is fair distribution of assets/liabilities, spousal support, custody, parenting time, and child support.
- Divorce mediation helps you and your spouse learn to talk to each other, enhancing communication for a more cooperative future relationship, especially in your working partnership as parents of divorced children.
- By applying the principle of fairness, divorce mediation maximizes the benefits for everyone and proportionally distributes the sacrifices.
Need a divorce lawyer and not sure if divorce mediation,
collaborative divorce or contested divorce
is best for you and your family?
Call Joe Noto ESQ for your free consultation to assist you in
deciding which best fits your needs: 201-847-0814
Call 201-847-0814 to schedule your divorce mediation FREE introductory consultation in one of my offices in Wyckoff, Totowa, Verona or Hackensack, New Jersey.
We serve the following States, Cities, Zip Codes and Counties:
New Jersey (NJ), Bergen County, Passaic County, Essex County, Hackensack 07601, Bergenfield 07621, Cliffside Park 07019, Dumont 07628, Edgewater 07020, Elmwood Park 07407, Emerson 07630, Englewood 07631, Englewood Cliffs 07632, Fair Lawn 07410, Fairview 07022, Fort Lee 07024, Franklin Lakes 07417, Garfield 07026, Glen Rock 07452, Harrington Park 07640, Hasbrouck Heights 07604, Ho-Ho-Kus 07423, Leonia 07605, Little Ferry 07643, Lodi 07644, Lyndhurst 07071, Mahwah 07495, Midland Park 07432, Moonachie 07074, New Milford 07646, North Arlington 07031, Northvale 07647, Norwood 07648, Oakland 07436, Old Tappan 07675, Oradell 07649, Palisades Park 07650, Paramus 07652, Park Ridge 07656, Ramsey 07446, Ridgefield 07657, Ridgefield Park 07660, Ridgewood 07451, River Edge 07661, River Vale 07675, Rochelle Park 07662, Rockleigh 07647, Rutherford 07070, Saddle Brook 07663, Saddle River 07458, South Hackensack 07606, Teaneck 07666, Tenafly 07670, Upper Saddle River 07458, Waldwick 07463, Wallington 07057, Twp of Washington 07676, Westwood 07675, Woodcliff Lake 07677, Wood Ridge 07075, Wyckoff 07481, Bogota 07603, Carlstadt 07072, Allendale 07401, Closter 07624, Cresskill 07626, Demarest 07627, Haworth 07641, Hillsdale 07642, East Rutherford 07073, Montvale 07645