Parents want the best for their children to ensure their growth, development, happiness, and success now and in the future. How you work out your parenting arrangements through and after divorce will impact your children and your relationship with them. You need not be friends with your spouse, but after the divorce you must still maintain a long-standing parenting partnership for the sake of your children. Consider options that respect your children’s individual needs, their relationships and interactions with each parent and siblings, and their unfolding development. Consider how to maintain and foster access to both parents.
The major parenting decisions include:
- Where the children will live and how decision-making is shared regarding health, education, welfare, upbringing, values, etc. This is commonly referred to as custody and can be joint or sole.
- How the children will spend a typical week as well as holidays, birthdays, vacations, and school breaks. This is known as parenting time. For helpful information about parenting time, see Divorce Headquarters’ Visitation page.
- The amount, duration, and nature of child support. This is based on income/expenses and time spent with each parent, and is informed by state guidelines In New Jersey, child support ceases when a child is emancipated.
The benefits of divorce mediation are powerful and clear:
- Divorce mediation saves you considerable time and money.
- Divorce mediation makes you more committed to the agreement since it is you who works through it instead of your divorce attorneys.
- Divorce mediation gives you a sense of control over the process and allows you to maintain your dignity.
- You—not a judge—determine what is fair distribution of assets/liabilities, spousal support, custody, parenting time, and child support.
- Divorce mediation helps you and your spouse learn to talk to each other, enhancing communication for a more cooperative future relationship, especially in your working partnership as parents of divorced children.
- By applying the principle of fairness, divorce mediation maximizes the benefits for everyone and proportionally distributes the sacrifices.
Need a divorce lawyer and not sure if divorce mediation,
collaborative divorce or contested divorce
is best for you and your family?
Call Joe Noto ESQ for your free consultation to assist you
in deciding which best fits your needs: 201-847-0814
Common Tags: Divorce lawyer, Divorce Lawyers, Divorce Attorney, Divorce Attorneys, Mediation, Mediation Attorney, Mediator, Divorce Mediator, Collaborative Divorce, Collaborative Divorce Attorney, Family Law Attorneys, Mediation process, Uncontested Divorce, free consultation
We serve the following States, Cities, Zip Codes and Counties:
New Jersey (NJ), Bergen County, Passaic County, Essex County, Hackensack 07601, Bergenfield 07621, Cliffside Park 07019, Dumont 07628, Edgewater 07020, Elmwood Park 07407, Emerson 07630, Englewood 07631, Englewood Cliffs 07632, Fair Lawn 07410, Fairview 07022, Fort Lee 07024, Franklin Lakes 07417, Garfield 07026, Glen Rock 07452, Harrington Park 07640, Hasbrouck Heights 07604, Ho-Ho-Kus 07423, Leonia 07605, Little Ferry 07643, Lodi 07644, Lyndhurst 07071, Mahwah 07495, Midland Park 07432, Moonachie 07074, New Milford 07646, North Arlington 07031, Northvale 07647, Norwood 07648, Oakland 07436, Old Tappan 07675, Oradell 07649, Palisades Park 07650, Paramus 07652, Park Ridge 07656, Ramsey 07446, Ridgefield 07657, Ridgefield Park 07660, Ridgewood 07451, River Edge 07661, River Vale 07675, Rochelle Park 07662, Rockleigh 07647, Rutherford 07070, Saddle Brook 07663, Saddle River 07458, South Hackensack 07606, Teaneck 07666, Tenafly 07670, Upper Saddle River 07458, Waldwick 07463, Wallington 07057, Twp of Washington 07676, Westwood 07675, Woodcliff Lake 07677, Wood Ridge 07075, Wyckoff 07481, Bogota 07603, Carlstadt 07072, Allendale 07401, Closter 07624, Cresskill 07626, Demarest 07627, Haworth 07641, Hillsdale 07642, East Rutherford 07073, Montvale 07645